Howdy, Lurker. How about you just login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

we distribute meds for only the well deserved

News:

He's upset but hey if he's gonna get his dick in a twist over something said at 3 in the morning I'm not gonna worry about it. - Justcall....as always in Offended my H

Author Topic: Marilyn  (Read 1156 times)

0 Members and 1 Lurker are viewing this topic.

Marilyn
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:02 AM »
We are worried we may lose our blue and gold macaw, Marilyn (pictured here in my avatars).  She is over 18 and has only just begun to produce eggs that she cannot birth.  The vet was able to remove one but the other is up too far.  We have been hoping for weeks that it will drop but the vet called to say if it did not by the 28th then a c-section will have to be done.  This could happen a lot and the only option are Lupron shots to stop the production.  Not something I like but it is a question of losing her now or much later.  We hope we are doing the right thing.  It is not always easy to know.

• BerBear
  • I have nothing to say right now
  • Administrator
  • Insanity is my only means of relaxation
    • The Shops
Re: Marilyn
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:11 AM »
Poor girl :( Egg binding is never good...

The Lupron would be for the rest of her life, right? I've always heard that once they start, they usually don't stop.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:35:53 AM »
Oh no!  Poor Marilyn...  :sadbig  I never heard of egg binding before.  Sure hope she beats the odds and her body responds to the shots. 

• BerBear
  • I have nothing to say right now
  • Administrator
  • Insanity is my only means of relaxation
    • The Shops
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »
My parents had a cockatiel (well, I guess I did... it was just at their house. Not sure why they get the pets and I take care of them) that did the opposite that Marilyn is doing... sort of. They had her for about 6 months and she just started laying eggs... sometimes 3 or 4 a day. They talked to the previous owner (it was a care nurse at the nursing home when dad was there and we thought him having a bird would help when he came home) and she had never seen Tweety lay an egg in the few years she had her, so it was strange. We tried letting her keep them... she would lay on them. We tried taking them away. We tried everything. The loving bird became a monster... starting attacking everyone who would come near her. Took her to the vet and they gave her calcium or something (been quite a few years) that was supposed to help. Then one day my parents called me in a panic to come over and when I got there they had Tweety on the counter, she was basically having a seizure.... and then she died right after.
You would think laying eggs would be the most normal thing for a bird, but it can cause a lot of problems :(

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
Oh my goodness, so sad.  :sadbig

• Jen
    • Jen's Closet
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
IS there side effects with the Lupron? When we found Jaime's 3rd ovarian cyst they put her on Lupron injections every 12 weeks. When they discovered after a year that the cyst was bigger they wanted to increase the shots to every 4 weeks and we told them no way, they needed to find something else. That was a 16 gauge needle in the thigh miscle. Not cool.

We found out later that Lupron can be hard on kidneys in humans. I wonder if it's the same with birds.
*We don't just embrace INSANITY here. We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.*

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:17:20 AM »
I had to take the drug once a month for six months ... I lasted four.  But it was enough and bought me time.
Yeah, I am not happy about her having the shots but she cannot do this all the time and live.  She is aggressive with me but adores my husband.  Although she becomes gentle with me if I hand feed her.  So to keep the bond between us that is what I do each day.  Also, if my husband is not around and she feels unsafe, she runs to me.  At the moment she is eating well and played a little which is good.  But she doesn't have much interest in being out of her cage unless my husband is there .. and sometimes not even then ... hold on!  What do I hear?  She is making her way off her cage!  Good.  She could use the exercise.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:32:38 AM »
IS there side effects with the Lupron? When we found Jaime's 3rd ovarian cyst they put her on Lupron injections every 12 weeks. When they discovered after a year that the cyst was bigger they wanted to increase the shots to every 4 weeks and we told them no way, they needed to find something else. That was a 16 gauge needle in the thigh miscle. Not cool.

We found out later that Lupron can be hard on kidneys in humans. I wonder if it's the same with birds.

It is a thick drug and is injected slowly. It felt like a crowbar!  Good for you taking her off the drug.  I had her issues when young.  It so happened I was a very active everyday ... swimming , horseback riding, gym workouts, snow skiing, bike riding ... you get the picture.  Well years later I read that aerobic activity is good for severe endometriosis and can cause new ones forming to burst (so that was the mild discomfort I felt) and that reduces their spreading .. in my case, anyway.  So I became more active.  But one can only keep up that pace for so long.

So, keep looking.  Encourage her to still have an active life and work thru it as long as what she does is not harmful.  Try to get her into yoga on a regular basis .  I wish I had when I was very young.  I sort of disregarded it but never should have. 

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:38:59 AM »

Hard to say what the side effects are for birds.  For me it was like being plunged into menopause at age 38.  Thank God it was winter!  It reduces estrogen production.  Not cool for young women.  We need it when young so think about what those shots mean.  And they were given to me in the butt, alternating each side.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:49 AM »
My parents had a cockatiel (well, I guess I did... it was just at their house. Not sure why they get the pets and I take care of them) that did the opposite that Marilyn is doing... sort of. They had her for about 6 months and she just started laying eggs... sometimes 3 or 4 a day. They talked to the previous owner (it was a care nurse at the nursing home when dad was there and we thought him having a bird would help when he came home) and she had never seen Tweety lay an egg in the few years she had her, so it was strange. We tried letting her keep them... she would lay on them. We tried taking them away. We tried everything. The loving bird became a monster... starting attacking everyone who would come near her. Took her to the vet and they gave her calcium or something (been quite a few years) that was supposed to help. Then one day my parents called me in a panic to come over and when I got there they had Tweety on the counter, she was basically having a seizure.... and then she died right after.
You would think laying eggs would be the most normal thing for a bird, but it can cause a lot of problems :(

Gives me a new found respect for chickens!

Marilyn gets enough calcium and everything else.  It is one of the reasons I make their food and hand feed them to make sure.  We also have a Hahns macaw.  Pretty sure he is a male cause he is in LOVE with me.  He is the most loving, playful, cheeky little devil.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:52 AM »
Poor girl :( Egg binding is never good...

The Lupron would be for the rest of her life, right? I've always heard that once they start, they usually don't stop.
Yes, rest of her life.  I enter their room with caution cause I wonder ... Gosh, we love that girl!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »
Oh no!  Poor Marilyn...  :sadbig  I never heard of egg binding before.  Sure hope she beats the odds and her body responds to the shots.
Thanks.  We are hoping her good care for the past 18 years gives her an edge.

• Jen
    • Jen's Closet
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
It is a thick drug and is injected slowly. It felt like a crowbar!  Good for you taking her off the drug.  I had her issues when young.  It so happened I was a very active everyday ... swimming , horseback riding, gym workouts, snow skiing, bike riding ... you get the picture.  Well years later I read that aerobic activity is good for severe endometriosis and can cause new ones forming to burst (so that was the mild discomfort I felt) and that reduces their spreading .. in my case, anyway.  So I became more active.  But one can only keep up that pace for so long.

So, keep looking.  Encourage her to still have an active life and work thru it as long as what she does is not harmful.  Try to get her into yoga on a regular basis .  I wish I had when I was very young.  I sort of disregarded it but never should have.

We didn't take her off because of the side effects, it was just the fact they wanted to increase the frequency of the shots. After the radiation, chemo and then the shots she has PTSD and would have anxiety attacks every time we went to the doctor. I wasn't going to make it worse. So they put an implant under her skin that was basically the same medicine that would be released over a year, no more shots. We did that for 2 or 3 years only to find out a side effect is it raises your blood pressure, is hard on kidneys and makes peeing painful. A 7 year old should not have blood pressure of 155/100 and she only has 1 kidney so that wasn't good. We decided not to do the implants anymore and just wait it out.

We went close to 8 years with no issues. She started having issues with pain the weekend after Thanksgiving. Now we are just waiting to find out if she has PCOS. We should find that out in May.

Sorry to hijack your thread!lol
*We don't just embrace INSANITY here. We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.*

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 04:22:45 AM »
No worries, Jen.  Keep us posted.  I will say a prayer for her.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
Saying prayers for her here too Jen. Keep us updated ok?